Zespri is 100 percent owned by current and former New Zealand kiwifruit growers. It is an integrated marketing system comprising of long-term partnerships between growers, post-harvest operators, port and shipping companies distributors, wholesalers and retailers, all focused on delivering the highest quality kiwifruit to consumers.
1. Zespri Today
- Zespri International Limited is the world’s largest producer of kiwifruit, selling kiwifruit into 56 countries and managing around one third of globally traded kiwifruit.
- There are around 2,500 Zespri growers in New Zealand. Zespri has established long-term partnerships with growers and suppliers in grow Zespri Kiwifruit in Italy, Korea, Japan and France to meet Northern Hemisphere demand in the NZ offseason.
- The Zespri brand has built a strong reputation through
- Focus on innovation to develop new varieties, productivity and sustainable growth techniques
- Developing advanced supply chain systems to distribute premium quality fruit
- Researching the health benefits of kiwifruit with high-level research partners
- Establishing strong brand awareness and in-market service.
- Zespri is forecasting strong growth from total New Zealand–grown volumes increasing from around 117 million trays in 2015/2016, with gold volumes set to increase strongly.
- Zespri’s supply of non- New Zealand fruit is set to grow substantially over the next five years, reflecting the establishment of SunGold in France and Italy and our success in procuring Zespri Green kiwifruit from Italy to meet rising demand. Having Zespri Kiwifruit available 12 months of the year keeps the Zespri brand on shop shelves all year round.
2. Zespri Products
- Zespri Green Kiwifruit
- Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
- Zespri Organic Kiwifruit
- Zespri Sweet Green Kiwifruit
3. The Zespri System
This system, unique to Zespri, covers every stage of the kiwifruit’s journey from orchard to retailer, and is applied to every single kiwifruit that Zespri produces. Zespri system ensures traceability of every tray of fruit back to its orchard and packhouse of origin and underpins our premium brand.
- Food safety and security: crop protection, secure export
- Social responsibility: ethical trading, worker welfare, corporate values
- Sustainability: proactive management of the environmental and societal aspects of our business
- Traceability to orchard gate: property ID, barcoding
- Quality grade: Zespri grade, standard, quality systems
4. The Zespri Health Strategy
Health is a key platform to increasing kiwifruit consumption. Zespri’s extensive consumer research shows that the more consumers know about the health benefits of kiwifruit, the more likely they see kiwifruit as an important nutritious addition to the daily diet. Fruit has a credible role for consumers in supporting day-to-day wellness. Our consumer health strategy is a central part of growing the kiwifruit category increasing product loyalty and frequency of consumption.
5. Zespri’s Commitment to Science and Research
To achieve the goals of the health strategy, Zespri’s investment focuses on scientific research
- In 2008, Zespri® put in place a world-class health and nutrition research programme around the health benefits of kiwifruit by joining forces with the Riddet Institute to form the Change to Strategic Research and Scientific Advisory (SRSA). The Riddet Institute is a New Zealand government-funded Centre of Research Excellence with a widely acknowledged international standing1.
- The main aims of the SRSA are to ensure that experienced and respected scientists in the nutrition and health field independently review Zespri research projects. The projects are considered for their fit with the overarching Zespri Health Strategy and the SRSA also reviews the scientific protocols and ensures that the research provider is the best science team for the required work.
Learn more about Zespri at www.zespri.com